McDonald's Ice Cream Contains Toxic and Deadly 'Xylitol'?

A viral rumour was shared on social media platforms that claimed McDonald’s ice cream contains xylitol, a sugar alcohol that is toxic and even deadly to dogs. 

However, no evidence was found to support this claim. Xylitol is not listed as an ingredient in any of McDonald's desserts on the company's US website. 

This rumor is being virally shared on Facebook. It claims that McDonald’s ice cream contains xylitol, a sugar alcohol that is toxic and even deadly to dogs.

In April 2022, a viral rumor was shared on Facebook that claimed McDonald’s ice cream contains xylitol, a sugar alcohol that is toxic and even deadly to dogs.

Xylitol is sweetener that is most commonly found in food products but can be found in other consumer goods as well. While xylitol consumption can be dangerous for your dog, it does not cause serious problems in cats or ferrets.

What is Xylitol?

In dogs, xylitol causes low blood sugar and liver injury. Signs of low blood sugar include weakness, unsteadiness, shaking, and (if it goes untreated) seizures. 

While low blood sugar can occur very quickly—as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion—it can take up to 12 hours for symptoms to appear after ingestion. 

Signs of liver injury may include a decrease in appetite, lethargy, yellowing of the skin as well as vomiting and diarrhea.